Now you can make shoes from home with a seasoned shoemaker LIVE on screen to offer help and instruction
About the program:
Virtual Outstitch Shoemaking Course: Virtual lessons from a shoemaker with 45 years experience in making custom footwear.
- Make a pair of shoes from the comfort of your home or workshop
- Book sessions at your own speed by appointment (24 hr cancellation pls)
- 6 months to finish with option to extend
-  40 minute coaching sessions included with easy access online calendar.
- Materials and tools arrive in a timely manner
- Choose your pattern size.
- Handsewn or sewing machine options
The Chicago School of Shoemaking & Leather Arts is excited to announce the launch of their Live ! Virtual Shoemaking Course. This program is designed to help students access the expertise of a seasoned shoemaker in a virtual shoemaking course for beginners.
The course uses an Outstitch (or stitchdown) technique to help students build shoes from home. This process requires a minimal number of tools and materials. For students who don’t have local options for finishing and sanding the edges of the shoes, we provide a finishing service for a nominal fee. Here’s what the package includes:
- 1 sq ft 8-9 oz vegetable tanned leather for midsoles.
- 1 sq ft chap split suede leather for heel and lace area lining
- 1.5 sq ft 18-24 (=⅜”-½”) iron Vibram Pyramid crepe soling
- 2 +sq ft 4.5-5.5 oz chrome tanned leather for vamps
- Eyelets and eyelet setter
- Non-toxic leather glue
- Medium wt waxed nylon thread
- 1 pr 36”-45” shoe laces
- Edge ink for finishing soles
- Link for scheduling Zoom sessions
We are delighted to increase our reach to those who for many reasons may not be able to visit Chicago and work with us directly. This course is designed to allow ample time for the shoes to be made and an easy online scheduling system to book each session. We prefer for students to use our leather for their first pair since that is a major factor in how the shoes will hold up or be easy to work with. Materials are included in the full package. Color choices are available. Certain tools are required for this course. If you are a leather worker or a crafter, you may have some of these. Check the list HERE and click on any tools you wish to purchase. We will send those with your materials package. Materials are a set package, except for choices of colors of leather , thread, eyelets and sole. We make a simple classic Desert or Chukka boot. Once you understand the process of putting these shoes together, other styles will be available to you in upcoming offerings.
Working virtually with Sara is something that I look forward to every week. Initially, she walked me through the process of measuring my feet, creating a pattern that was specific to my feet and making a pair of desert boots that are comfortable and attractive. She’s a wonderful teacher, patient and kind, with no expectations that you should know a lot about shoemaking or leatherworking before you start your class with her. She even recognizes that some people may need a bit of a tutorial on measuring accurately! All said and done – I will continue to learn about shoemaking and proper fit from The Chicago School of Shoemaking without ever having to leave my house in New York! M. Lyons